Monday 23 July 2012

De-cluttering and organising - Mondays are a great day to start


This is something which has been a passion of mine for quite some time – but when I say this I really mean something that I have wanted to do for so long but just never got around to it. 

I have read various blogs on getting organised and how you can declutter your life in so many easy steps, but I never put any of it in to practice. That is up until recently.   I have started a declutter and organising regime within my house and my life.  Think about it – every now and again we go through our wardrobes and we give away clothes to charity that we are finished with and we tidy those wardrobes with the greatest of intentions of never letting it get that bad again.  But for me, I never really looked at other aspects of my life.  How do I declutter the rooms in my house, the thoughts in my head. How do I organise my finances?

This is what I am currently doing –   clearing things out is such a therapeutic thing to do but something which is not done often enough. So this is where I am at.  Isn’t there a saying clean house clear mind or something to that effect – so I have started tackling the house – one room at a time. 

It was a spare room / junk room / office – whatever you want to call it  - it never had a purpose.  So I have cleared it out and can finally say it actually now looks like a home office.  Bits and pieces of items are still there and need to be sorted but you know what – I can actually see the floor, which is a miracle in itself. 

If you decide to declutter and tidy here are some small simple tips and tricks that will help you.  Firstly start with a plan – know where you want to start –and just get on with it.  Starting like with anything else in life is the hardest thing to do but once you do – it will make all the difference.  I am actually sitting in my new office now writing this blog post to you guys now.  

 Note – these are not my ideas but taken from a faboulous lady in the blogging world. 

Jars – Everything has a spot right – so paperclips and tacks instead of being deadly items in a drawer can go in to a old jam jar or coffee canister. 

Labelling – it is so simple and I bet you never even thought of doing it (I didn’t)   you can simply just print out what labels you need.  You don’t need any fancy label maker.   

Filing – there is no way that you need to go out and buy a fancy tray for your filing and paperwork that you have.  Guess what you can use – a cereal box !  Look at this great idea from organising made fun 

 
This is wonderful !  Really imaginative. 

Shoe boxes - you know when you are in a store and the assistance asks do you want it. Say Yes! These are a great way to separate items and store things that you need.  I have recently used a shoe box to store cables that I found while cleaning out the junk room.   I will be honest I don’t know what the cables are for – but you know the minute you throw one out you will need it.  So I have put them all in a shoe box. 

Tissue Boxes – say what ! I hear you say. Yes Tissue boxes.  You can use them to store items from post it notes – I suddenly discovered I have a penchant for collecting post it notes of all different colours and styles and I needed somewhere to store them.   You could also use them for storing your childs crayons – or even your make up.   (remember to label which is which)
 For more ideas check out this fab lady - http://organizingmadefun.blogspot.ie/


Do you have any ideas for items around the house that you can use which will help declutter and organise your home?  Why not leave them in the comments section 

S

No comments:

Post a Comment